Now in their 6th consecutive year, the fun and informative Jelf Employment Seminars are heading to Cardiff for our next event. As usual we will be fielding a range of topic experts to help employers navigate their way around the new employment universe.
Our three incarnations of expert speakers for this important event are:
- Kevin Jones will be on hand to provide delegates with a practical guide to coaching line-managers on HR issues, together with other topical updates on Employment Law.
- Lee Coles will explain why the new Pension Freedoms pose new challenges for UK employers, and outline how organisations can review and mitigate their exposure to such issues.
- Steve Herbert will provide his (un)usual review of how the new Westminster government and summer Budget announcements will impact Employee Benefits, and what this will mean for employers of all sizes.
And we have yet another great venue for our delegates to enjoy! Our event will take place at The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff Bay. Delegates will register in the TARDIS control room (as used by the 10th Doctor David Tennant), before hearing our expert speakers in the Who themed seminar room. At the end of the seminar our delegates will be provided with special complimentary tours of the interactive experience, followed by unlimited access to the exhibition space.
- Date: Wednesday 21st October2015
- Timings: Coffee & registration 09:00; Seminar commences 09:45; Concludes 12:00
- Location: The Doctor Who Experience, Heol Porth Teigr, Cardiff Bay, CF10 4GA
- Suitable for: Senior Human Resources and Finance Professionals
- CPD: The seminar will qualify for 2 hours CPD
- Cost: FREE!* (includes exclusive post-event experience tour for our delegates)
*All bookings are subject to our usual event terms and conditions (including a late cancellation charge) which can be viewed here: Jelf Events: Terms and Conditions of acceptance
09:00 Registration, coffee and networking in The TARDIS control room
09:55 Employee Benefits: “Travels in time and space (& employee benefits)”
A new government – and the summer Budget announcement – has provided a firm indicator as to the direction of travel for UK employee benefit provision. So what should employers be aware of, and how should they react? Taking his usual pragmatic approach to these challenges Steve will outline the key issues and what actions employers should now be taking. Topics covered will include the national roll-out of the Fit for Work service, the review into the taxation of UK pensions, changes to childcare provision for employees and the progress of mandated employee volunteering rights. A practical, useful, and hopefully fun, session for all delegates.
Speaker: Steve Herbert, Head of Benefits Strategy, Jelf Employee Benefits
10:30 Pensions: “Pensions post Freedoms”
In April The Chancellor’s new pension “freedoms” became fully available for older pension savers. The practical impact of this change has yet to be fully appreciated or understood by most employers, and this session will aim to lift the lid on this new dynamic with Lee providing an outline of a Pensions Freedom Audit. Topics covered will include a review of existing permissions, investment options, and importantly communications. This session will also seek to highlight gaps and oversights in current provision and suggest what can be done by employers to best manage and mitigate such concerns.
Speaker: Lee Coles, Head of Life after Work, Jelf Employee Benefits
10:55 Delegate Voting
11:00 Break/ Refreshments/ Networking
11:20 Employment Law: “Coaching managers on HR disciplines”
Kevin Jones, partner in leading law firm Clarke Willmott LLP will take an instructive look at the key areas that line managers often get wrong when dealing with common HR and employment related issues with their staff. Topics will include the benefit and dangers of open dialogue with employees, the pros and cons of emails, and how appraisals often return to haunt the employer! Other areas covered will be pre-employment issues, the use of “Without Prejudice” and the importance of control in references. Topical employment law issues will also feature.
Speaker: Kevin Jones, Partner, Clarke Willmott LLP
11:50 Closing comments/ Prize draw (including the chance to win a Fortnum & Mason hamper)
12:00 Event concludes/ Optional Doctor Who Experience tours (Free to all delegates!)
So how do I book a place?
If you (and/or an appropriate colleague) would like to attend, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
…with the following details for each delegate…
- Full name
- Job title
- Company name
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Please add “Doctor Who Experience” to the subject line of your email
I do hope you can join us for this important, informative and fun event.
‘Dalek image © BBC/Terry Nation 1963’